The Padma Awards, namely, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri, are amongst the highest civilian awards of the country. Instituted in 1954, these awards are announced on the occasion of the Republic Day every year. The award seeks to recognize ‘work of any distinction’ and is given for distinguished and exceptional achievements/service in all fields/disciplines, such as, Art, Literature and Education, Sports, Medicine, Social Work, Science and Engineering, Public Affairs, Civil Service, Trade and Industry etc.
Recommendations / nominations are being invited for Padma Awards 2014. The Recommendations / nominations should be made in the prescribed proforma alongwith a citation in form of a write up in narrative form indicating distinctions / achievements obtained in the concerned field of activity. It should be in a maximum of two pages containing not more than 800 words. The Nomination should be sent by Post and also by e-mail. All relevant columns of the proforma are also expected to be completed in all respects. Recommendations / nominations received without the filled up proforma and citation (maximum in 2 pages containing not more than 800 words) will not be considered. The last date for receipt of the recommendations for Padma Awards in this Ministry is October 15, 2013. Recommendation received after it will not be considered.
Illustrative list of fields
- Art (includes Music, Painting, Sculpture, Photography, Cinema, Theatre etc.)
- Social work (includes social service, charitable Service, contribution in Community Projects etc.)
- Public Affairs (includes Law, Public Life, Politics, etc.)
- Science & Engineering (includes Space Engineering, Nuclear Science, Information Technology, Research & Development in Science & its allied subjects etc.)
- Trade & Industry (includes Banking, Economic Activities, Management, Promotion of Tourism, Business etc.)
- Medicine (includes medical research, distinction/specialization in Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Sidhha, Allopathy, Naturopathy etc.)
- Literature & Education (includes Journalism, Teaching, Book composing, Literature, Poetry, promotion of education, promotion of literacy, Education Reforms etc.)
- Civil Service (includes distinction/excellence in administration etc. by Government Servants)
- Sports (including popular Sports, Athletics, Adventure, Mountaineering, promotion of sports, Yoga etc.)
- Others (fields not covered above and may include propagation of Indian Culture, protection of Human Rights, Wild Life protection/conservation etc.)